Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Myspace Is Yourspace

So I checked out the 3 featured sites under social networking. I've been a member of myspace for several years now. Recommended by a teen page that I worked with at another library. I've enjoyed keeping up with folks on there and looking at shared pictures. Its a fairly reliable site which is one of the best things about it. A lot of these sites, ahem blogger, have issues with errors pretty frequently. I do understand since its hard to keep up with the tech issues when you have such a heavily used site. But its nice when everything works as it should. Myspace is in my opinion the most popular among the younger crowd and the most 'cool' but the other sites have their benefits as well.
Facebook is primarily for college students and grads. This does leave out a large portion of the population and seems rather elitist to me. It is a hugely popular site and I know a lot of my friends are on there. I've only recently joined so don't know much about the long term aspects of this site (i.e. reliability). The networking aspect of this site looks pretty good although I had a hard time finding people. I don't know if its because my friends aren't on here or what. Plus the networks have to be officially organized instead of a loosely based system that tends to be easier and more readily used by people like what myspace and consumating use. The site could be a bit more user friendly.
Speaking of Consumating, that was a cool site! I love the questions and contests they have. The site is well organized and its easy to click thru everything. I could care less about the popularity aspect where you gain points but its neat to see if people are reading what you write. I don't have any peeps on there yet but I'll definitely revisit this site just to read the weekly question. Its a good opportunity for writers to test their abilities in an informal way.
So, we were supposed to pick one site but I had already used myspace so I thought it would be good to compare/contrast. Yeah, I'm an overachiever on this thing. I could probably detail each interesting element of all the sites but that would be boring so there you go. I enjoyed wandering around and discovering these networking tools and it will be interesting to see if anyone contacts me about work. I did have an author reach me on myspace once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home